Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cutting Monsters: Fin

DONE!

Last week of the official edit. Sure, there'll be minor things from here through the moment when the final quicktime file leaves my house for delivery, but for the most part, editing is done.

Over the last 48 hrs, I've uprez'd the project from SD (which is how I was cutting) to HD. I've been amazed at the difference. There's been a few snags. I had to resize all the "found footage" from it's native 720p to 1080p. Also, after copying the edit onto a new HD sequence and reconnecting to the HD footage, I found I had to manually resize several clips. 

I also found that once in full HD I had a ton more latitude to blow up and reframe certain shots. One sequence that I was not particularly fond of due to lack of dynamic coverage was made much better using this technique. 

One other trial of uprezing is HD seems to handle the color correction a little differently. It seems that the clips in general are a bit darker. The screener copy looks fine, but before delivery I'll have to go over the color correction one more time.

Aside from that, a few VFX and laying in the final score (yet to be delivered) all that is left is separating the M&E (music and effects) tracks for delivery. This may require a bit more sound design work on my part, as much of our amazingly usable foley is apart of the dialog tracks (great work Ben!.) 

Most of my payed work in Hollywood has been editing. Over the course of my four plus years here, I had grown to hate it. Working for low pay on crappy projects had all but sucked my will to edit. Even starting Monsters in the Woods was a chore. But over the course of the last 12 weeks, I've really rediscovered the joy that I once found editing. Putting stuff together. Making something greater than what was there. I'm looking forward to sharing it with everyone.

Anywho, I'm going to finish encoding the HD version for DVD, so my producers can take it and sell the shit outta Monsters in the Woods.

2 comments:

Post a Comment